The Green Card is the international insurance certificate which allows a motor vehicles to be considered validly insured against the compulsory motor third party liability (MTPL) in the visited Country.

The Green Card is issued under the responsibility of the National insurance bureau of the Country of registration of a vehicle.


It allows the driver of a motor vehicle who travels abroad to enter and circulate in a foreign Country in compliance with the rules of the visited Country as regards the MTPL.

If the driver is not in possession of a valid green card, he/she must purchase a specific temporary frontier policy at the border of the visited Country.

As the temporary frontier policy is much more expensive than a green card, it is better to check before travelling and contact your insurer if necessary.


A partire dal 1/7/2020 molti Paesi tra cui l’Italia hanno optato per l’utilizzo di un modello semplificato del certificato internazionale di assicurazione stampato su un solo lato ed in bianco e nero. Pur continuando a chiamarla “carta verde”, il certificato perde il caratteristico colore che lo ha caratterizzato nei suoi primi settanta anni di esistenza pur mantenendo inalterate le sue funzioni.

Tutti i Paesi aderenti si sono dichiarati disposti ad accettare certificati in bianco e nero da parte degli automobilisti provenienti da un Paese che ha optato per l’eliminazione del colore. Potrai trovare qui l’elenco dei Paesi che hanno adottato il formato in bianco e nero.


In order to get a green card it is necessary to contact the Insurance company which insures your vehicle against MTPL (this indication applies for Italy: it may not apply to your Country).

Italian Insurance companies are free to exclude their guarantee to certain Countries out of the EEC by crossing out the relevant box on the green card. UCI is not in possession of specific information about the exclusions operated by Insurers.

Log In

Send us a message

Log In

Accedi all'area riservata